Saturday, October 04, 2008

20 Great Reasons to Visit Fort Worth

The Austin American-Statesman recently published an article titled, "20 Great Reasons to Visit Dallas-Fort Worth." We'll ignore their dallas suggestions. After all, who the heck ever goes to dallas?

Instead here's their recommendations of things to see and do in Cowtown, along with some thoughts:

The impressionist paintings on loan from the Art Institute of Chicago at the Kimbell Art Museum. - No argument there. That exhibit has been high on the lovely Mrs. Smith's list of things to do since it opened.

The new Malayan tiger kitties at the Fort Worth Zoo. - Our world-class zoo is something we often take for granted.

Joe T. Garcia's. - Joe T.'s is fine for tourists. But puhlease, real Fort Worthians know Joe T.'s is way overrated.

Hangman's House of Horrors. - I'm too old and cranky to enjoy paying money to be chased with fake chainsaws.

Luskey's Western Wear. - Personally I don't go for the urban cowboy look but if I did I'd definitely take this authentic spot over the ones near the malls.

Angelo's Bar-B-Que. - Another place that is way overrated.

The Japanese Garden at the Fort Worth Botanic Garden. - Another of Mrs. Smith's favorites.

The Fort Worth Herd Cattle Drive. - Ehh, I suppose it's fine for the tourists it is meant for.

Real western bars in the Stockyards: the White Elephant, or the Longhorn Saloon. - Growing up my parents forced me to listen to County & Western music virtually every waking hour. So the rebel in me still avoids these types of places, but they are fine for those whose tastes prefer it.

Texas Motor Speedway. - Definitely something they don't have in Austin, or dallas for that matter.

If they missed your favorite spot in Cowtown post it in the comments.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love it! I love your reasons. I spend a lot of time in Ft. Worth for my work. It's a beautiful city.

4:57 PM  
Blogger Ole Blue The Heretic said...

Great reasons. I was living in Houston but in March I made the jump to Fort Worth. Glad I did.

People always ask me if I have been to Dallas. My new reply will be, "NO! After all, who the heck ever goes to dallas?."

Thanks

8:52 AM  
Blogger JohnPeterSmith said...

I thought it kind of odd that the writer didn't find anything downtown worth visiting.

9:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home